We are on the home stretch of 2020 and I have to admit – I’m undoubtedly thrilled! This year has dampened spirits (mine included) countless times and I’m really looking forward to moving forward! With this whirlwind year rounding out, we must give ourselves a pat on the back for staying in the game.
There’s still time remaining on the clock until midnight on December 31st, 2020 and if we finish with a sense of tenacity and accomplishment, we’ll transition into 2021 with much greater ease. External circumstances won’t change quite yet from this year to the next, but out inner circumstances (our mindset) can reframe, believe and practice anything.
Here’s a few helpful tips to get you through these remaining Holidays.
1. Human Connection Will Always be a Top Priority: The rates of isolation, loneliness, depression, anxiety, addiction, poor health, domestic abuse, suicide, job loss, bankruptcies, early mortality continue to escalate. It is crucial to keep reaching to people as often as you need. Don’t assume anything. Just because you live with people, that doesn’t eliminate the possibility of loneliness. And likewise, if you live alone, the essential need for human connection becomes even more vital. Humans are meant to connect, survive and thrive in a community. Phone, Zoom, In Person safely – whatever it takes to keep you going strong.
2. Therapy is a Godsend: I’m a staunch advocate for counseling and therapeutic support for your beautiful mind and brain and its immeasurable effects on the rest of the body. I’ve been to therapists throughout my life and I recommend it to all of my patients and know it has helped me and them immensely. It doesn’t mean that you are broken, damaged or weak. It simply means you need another objective perspective (set of ears and eyes) on how you can better reframe your thoughts, beliefs, attitudes and actions so that you can live a life you cherish and love. And quite honestly, everyone could benefit from that. Helpful beyond words and especially during this time. Find a therapist here: Psychology Today
3. The Simple Things Can Uplift Your Spirits: This past year I’ve been going on frequent walks with new German Shepherd puppy, Penelope. During this Holiday Season, I find so much joy in seeing all of the Christmas decorations. I came across this house that you see at the top of this email near my home in Roseville, California. It was so beautifully decorated that I had to walk up to the top of this cul de sac. To my surprise, I noticed a very cool lamp in the window. Not just any lamp, this was a distinctive Leg Lamp. This iconic lamp was from the Holiday movie “A Christmas Story” – something I watched often growing up during this time of year. It made me smile and of course, had to take pictures to share with others on social media. What are some simple things that you can do that will uplift your spirit?
4. Natural Anti-Depressants: When I think of natural anti-depressants, I’m not referring to pharmaceutical medications or even herbal supplements that come in a capsule nor referring to the immediate gratification of shopping on Amazon. Instead I’m speaking of life’s events and experiences that naturally bring that sparkle and light into your life and encourage release of those feel good neurotransmitters like serotonin. Things like genuine communication with someone where you feel heard and validated, a deep, tight hug from your loved ones, smiling at others and seeing the returned smile, your favorite exercise that gives you an endorphin rush, a delicious mouth watering meal, sunrises and sunsets, falling snow on a winter’s day, that first cup of tasty coffee or tea to brighten your morning, laughter until you cry, your favorite movie, unconditional love from your pet and prayers for peace and healing. What are your go to natural anti-depressants that don’t cost a single penny?
5. DIY Cool Stuff: In my case – Homemade Lip Balm: I am a self confessed lip balm junkie! I probably have about 7-8 naturally made lip balms scattered throughout my home, kitchen, living room, purse, bedroom, car. The more variety of flavors and scents – the better. I’m not sure where the obsession came from, but trying and making different natural skin care products has been one of my passions for decades. This weekend, I’ll be creating my own lip balm batch from scratch using natural, safe, aromatic and therapeutic ingredients and give them away to people on the “Nice List.” Whatever you like to do or make, be sure to get lost in your creativity and share your amazing gifts with others.
6. Comfort Food for the Soul – Gluten Free & Paleo Peppermint Brownies: It’s no surprise that I love baking. Ever since I was a child, the kitchen has been my happy place, my comfort zone for creativity, flair and rebalancing. Baking desserts doesn’t have to be entirely unhealthy. There’s an abundance of healthier and semi-healthy recipes to choose from throughout the infinite internet. Recently I made Peppermint Brownies without gluten, dairy and without a lot of the not so good for you ingredients that tend to inflame and weigh down our bodies. These brownies are ridiculously delicious! See the link below if you’re interested: Not a baker? Do what you love and provides comfort to your soul.
8. The 80/20 Lifestyle Recommendations: It’s the end of this crazy year and it’s also the Holiday Season. Which for many, that means there might be an extra 5,10 or even 20 pounds gained. If there’s been more “comfort food” indulgence and less physical activity as a way to cope with the ongoing discomfort, absolutely no judgement here. The best thing you can for the present time and moving forward into the new year (and beyond!) is to embrace the 80/20 Lifestyle Recommendations. So, 80% of the time you are on top of it – healthy, nutrient rich foods like vegetables, fruits, lean animal protein, plant based fats, oils, nuts. And 20% of the time, enjoy the decadence. For those days when it’s the reverse – you’re eating 80% unhealthy foods – switch it back the next day. Apply the same for essential physical activity, 80% of the time, move your body to the point of sweating, increasing metabolism and detoxification. And the other 20% of the time, just relax. The result? The 80/20 recommendation boosts your perseverance and stamina to keep you moving forward!
9. Don’t know what to do? Express Gratitude: “It’s not happiness that brings us gratitude, it’s gratitude that brings us happiness.” ~ Anonymous. Gratitude can be the quickest remedy for feelings of hopelessness, depression, anxiety, sadness, irritability, anger and fear. Not only does it calm the mind, body and spirit, it also switches your brain from fear (fight or flight) to love and peace (rest and repair) which means you can better focus on being productive, focused, attentive, creative, loving and rejuvenated. Simple, yet so effective.
10. Book a Getaway Trip for 2021! Nothing lasts forever and the same goes for this pandemic. If you haven’t already, schedule in a breakaway vacation for next spring, summer or fall. Literally book the flights, hotels, Air BNB so that you have something amazing to look forward to. Anticipating this new adventure just around the corner is more than enough to bring you peace of mind, joy for present day life and perseverance to forge ahead!
Also, just a friendly reminder that I am launching the Vital Health Membership Program for all current patients and new patients transitioning from the 4 Month Vital Transformation Program. I sent out an email 2 weeks ago.
**Starting January 1st, 2021, all current patients will have the opportunity to join the Vital Health Membership. You will have until January 31st 2021 to enroll. The traditional fee for service (pay as you go) model will no longer be available starting February 1st 2021.**
Please see the attached document for a list of Membership Cost Plans: Vital Health Membership Plans
Want to become a New Patient and have questions about the 4 Month Vital Transformation Program? Read more here – https://doctorkristi.com/vital-transformation-program/. Then schedule a 20 minute Discovery Call from the scheduler on my website: https://doctorkristi.com.
Current patient and need a Phone or Videoconference Follow up Appointment? Schedule your appointment here: https://doctorkristi.com.
Wishing all of you a very Happy Holiday Season and I look forward to working with you in 2021!